Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A few of my sketchbook challenge pages




sketchbook challenge

I have never kept an ongoing sketchbook.  My mind has always found itself sketching so why use my hands to record what could be rapidly done without the disappointment of a shaky hand?
So, with this challenge I have been feeling a bit self conscious about my sketchbook pages.  Self conscious of myself, that is!  If I can't do it beautifully and perfectly then why do it?  I don't want to confront my flaws!  Yuck!  That's uncomfortable and who wants that?

Ah!  But what I am learning is, you have to take time to stretch before you can play the game well!
So, this challenge has become a lesson in stretching and sketching.  I am facing white pages daily with the challenge of filling them with images of my fancy using whatever tools I want.  Sounds wonderful, huh?  Don't kid yourself, it's harder than it looks!

"You have to be displaced from what's comfortable and routine, and then you get to see things with fresh eyes, with new eyes."  ~ Amy Tan

No comments: